Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Adam and Steve Prevail

Right-wing idiots lose again. The House defeated the anti-gay Federal Marriage Amendment, which would make it illegal for same-sex couples to marry (but not, if the amendment's backers are any indication, for siblings to marry).

I originally used a Fox News link on this post, because I just know how much it must have killed those sons of bitches to have to write that. Then I discovered that the story was from October of 2004! Which proves that they can't even update their stories in their search engine. And WE'RE the cause of the nation's problems? Of course...Johnny can't read--even a calendar. So rather than blame his heterosexual parents for feeding him cookies and cartoons, let's blame the teachers for not teaching him enough and the gays for--uh--well, let's just blame them. It's safe!

I love Roscoe Bartlett's quote from the 2004 story: "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve." Now, where have I heard that before? Oh, yeah--EVERY SINGLE unoriginal, intellectually indifferent Christian conservative I've ever come across. It's nice to know they keep their material so fresh.

At first, I was dismayed that it won even majority support (236 in favor, 187 opposed). Then, I realized that with the House and Senate so heavily Republican, these numbers are actually a ringing failure to them. And there's that pesky two-thirds vote thing. "Gosh darn that political system! Guess we'll have to hunker down with Tom DeLay (WAAAAYYY down so we can look him in the eye) and find out how to rig that thar system in our favor again! We've already shot our load in Texas. Let's start working on Ohiah!" And off they go, in a cloud of dust, a squeal of monster truck tires, a chorus of "yee-has" and a cacophony of banjo music.

The bright side is that Bush himself is so taken with this amendment, and he and his supporters keep pushing for it. Judging by his poll numbers these days, that can only be good news for us, since everything he touches turns to a steaming pile of shit.

2 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

It's amazing that he still has folks in his corner. What a f***tard. I think he will be seen as, hands down, the worst president EVER if he hasn't initiated WWIII before the end of his term.

On a non related note, you don't have an e-mail on you rprofile so I am asking here: does your band perform regularly? The retro-80s thing is good listening.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

We'll be playing again at Gallery Cabaret on Saturday, August 12. I think the show starts at 10:30, but I'm not sure what order we're in yet...the other band, Woody Wagon, has a lot of talented musicians, though, so the whole show ought to be excellent.

I'll put another item on this blog the week of the show, too. Our band website will be updated, too (www.biggirlseatcake.com).

Hope to see you there! (I'm still peeing my pants over your interview with Mama Mancuso...she sounds just like my mom when she really gets going!)

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home