Thursday, August 21, 2008

Preserved Forever...For Posteriors--Er, I Mean, Posterity

Yesterday, Davy, Taylor and I went back into the recording studio to lay down some more vocal tracks for The Joans CD. It was the first time I'd gotten to hear the updated tracks for some of the songs, and I was really liking the way they sounded! Ryan (the engineer) said that they're not even mixed at all yet, so once that's done, they'll sound even better.

My biggest challenge was doing the Phil Spector-ish "wall of sound" vocals for the guitar solo on "The Girl Next Door." When we did the first demo at Taylor's house, it just consisted of singing three-part falsetto. It worked out fine. Then. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to pull it off yesterday! But in the end, it sounded decent enough, and I did hit the notes (don't ask me how).

We've now finished "Mad At The Dirt," "We Are The Joans," "Joan World" and "This Is Your Life." We're getting close on "Faye Dunaway," "Berserk," "Cool" "The Girl Next Door" and "Joan Crawford Goes To Hell." Just a few more vocals to add...

The keyboards sound really good--very late 70's/early 80's punk organ (think "Candy Slice," the Gilda Radner character's band on SNL, or "Switching to Glide.") I wasn't there when Ed and Taylor were working on those sessions, so it was a nice surprise. The guitar solos are great, too--Taylor's done some nice stuff!

I'm quite looking forward to hearing the completely finished product...because it usually sounds nothing like me. :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger American Girl said...

We were driving home Sunday night and heard "Switchign to Glide/This Beat Goes On" on one hit wonder program the other night. I had to admit that I was really happy to hear the song. Love the organ.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I feel the same way about them. I have a Time-Life CD series of 80s music, and the 1980-81 volume has "Switching to Glide," "Turning Japanese" by the Vapors, "Cars" by Gary Numan and "Touch and Go" by the Cars. It's like 2 CDs full of musical heaven.

I wonder if all the young people are laughing up their sleeves at my musical tastes. But then, I never laughed at my mom when she dug out her old Supremes and Beatles 45s--I stole them and dubbed them onto cassettes for myself! (Oh, God--cassettes--I AM old.) :-)

12:41 PM  
Blogger American Girl said...

I have a playlist on my Ipod titled "God This Dates Me."

My feeling about music is, if you like it, listen to it. Which is why I have such gems as "Fox On The Run", "Close (To The Edit)" and "Dim All The Lights" in my library.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admit it, I like the Carpenters, Styx, Fleetwood Mac and Linda Ronstadt. I remember that one song..."I'm turning Japanese, oh yes I'm turning Japanese I really think so! ed

3:33 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I like all the above, too, Ed. And I had "Fox On the Run" on my iRiver, too, before it died...I still have the Sweet CD, though.

3:52 PM  
Blogger American Girl said...

You don't mean the Greatest Hits cd, do you? I was working a charity garage sale this spring and was in charge of sorting the music when I came across Sweet's greatest hits, my friend grabbed it and ignoring the fact that we were on a residential street blasted it from his car.

The next day the donor had to come and get back all his wife's cds which he'd packed up by accident and wouldn't you know she wanted to hear "Ballroom Blitz."

5:54 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

It IS the Greatest Hits CD, as a matter of fact. I bought it from the Coconuts store up here by Loyola (which has since closed). "Ballroom Blitz" was a classic, as was "Fox." "Love Is Like Oxygen," sadly, was a bit of a letdown after 20 years of not hearing it. (Things sound so much more profound when you're 10...)

8:33 PM  
Blogger American Girl said...

SO Saturday AM I'm flipping through the look free paper and see that Sweet had played in Toronto on Friday night! I am not making that up.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Yes, Andy Scott still keeps a lineup of sorts touring occasionally, although he's the only original member...

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home