Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Classic Revised--With An Eastern Twist

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting "Singing In The Rain II".

(a/k/a "Sino Evil, Hear No Evil.")

4 Comments:

Blogger American Girl said...

She couldn't perform because she was too busy training for last night's gymnastics meet against those old ladies from the USA.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Stephen Rader said...

You're so right! It's Lena Lamont and Kathy Selden.

And the little girl that actually SANG the song is lovely. Very pretty, very cute.

How on earth does a 7 year old girl recover her self-esteem after this? It's so sad.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the Communist World appearance is everything. The people are not happy but they appear to be. The air is not clean but for now it appears to be. To them the one girl was a good singer but didn't appear as cute as the other. To most of the world we can't tell one chinese girl from another. 95% of those polled by NBC said they are very happy with the Government...the other 5% haven't been seen for awhile. ed

8:30 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Sarah: I saw a really funny Andy Borowitz column the other day where stated that the pride and joy of their gymnastics team (2' 2" tall) had vanished down the drain after demanding her "sippy cup."

Stephen: Unfortunately, that poor girl is probably used to it and thinks nothing of it. And self-esteem is probably discouraged in communist countries (overweaning hubris, don't you know?). You're right, though, she WAS a cutie. Americans love the gaps in kids' teeth, freckles, etc.--those little physical quirks are part of the charm of growing up, and they disappear so quickly that we view them as a brief moment in the unfurling of a child's "blossom," so to speak. But heavily-populated Eastern countries have no patience for human foibles and imperfections--everyone must fall in lock-step and be identical, and they reject anyone who doesn't look airbrushed. This is why I'm glad I won't ever have kids--with all this "gene therapy" becoming reality, inevitably we'll all feel the pressure someday to choose our kids "to order." Call me hopelessly passe, but I think we get what God sends us for a reason. I don't want that responsibility myself! (OK, tangent over!)

Ed: That's exactly it. Everybody looks to be about 15 years old, and for all that they hate homosexuals, you can't tell their male models from their female models sometimes (popular culture seems to prize androgyny--it's a mixed message, really). And yes, dissidence is brutally suppressed--what a perfect country to throw our lots in with! Christ, we're idiots.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home