Sunday, July 01, 2007

TravelBlogue: Casa de Mama, Day 3: Pictorial

Today was a much better day at Casa de Mama. She felt really well, except for the headache, which was not as bad as yesterday, so the chemo seems to be wearing off. So now, she'll only have to put up with this every three weeks! Oy.

But we had a nice time today, watching Paula Deen's show on Food Network, then watching an old English mermaid movie called "Miranda" that she'd Tivo'd. I left around 4:30 and just got home a few minutes ago.

And realized that I'd left my cell phone on her coffee table.

I called her and told her I'd left it and she's going to send it to me (at home, since I'll be off work at the end of the week, and I'll get it faster here). I could tell she was really glad I was there, and so was I. (UPDATE: The phone was in my bag--I just didn't see it the first time I looked. So I called mom back and told her not to worry.)

So...pictures. I did say there'd be some, didn't I? Now, as I mentioned, there are no pics of Mom, because she wasn't smiling so big this weekend (and she'd freaking murder me if she thought I took any), but I did get some "still life stills" of places I visited (not exciting, but it gives you some idea of the place that spat me out).

I mentioned going to the new YMCA in Peoria. It's located in Willow Knolls housing complex, which is the next best thing to a "gated" community Peoria has for people who don't want to mow lawns. I give you:



The Stepford YMCA. Well, actually, the Greater Peoria Family YMCA. Oh, I grant you the building doesn't look like much--it's more like the holding area that undesirables or people with real brains would be relegated to when discovered in Stepford. But even the people that go there are all good-looking. I stood out like a broken thumb. And look at the grounds:




I fully expected to be apprehended by Nanette Newman or Tina Louise as I unlocked my car and then taken to the Replacement Center.

I visited with my dad and stepmom later in the afternoon (I didn't have my camera with me, unfortunately, so no pics there). My mom's, though, is a treasure trove of quirky pics--I didn't have time to take many this visit, but I'll get some more when I go back. Mom has a fondness for turn-of-the-century advertising, on platters, wall plaques, cups, etc. She has this little gem in her bathroom:



(To answer the question, no, mother, you have a BIG fairy in your home!)

She also has a balcony outside where she keeps plants and a bird feeder:



She's gotten terse notes from the bitch who lives downstairs when a little bird seed has dropped from mom's balcony onto hers, so mom put out a baking sheet with the seed on it, and the birds can still get to it. So far, no more squawking from Miss Gulch downstairs, but I'm not too concerned--even with cancer, if push came to shove, I think mom could easily take her...

So this was the milestone...I think the other treatments will be easier, now that she knows what to expect. Thanks to everyone for all their positive thoughts and prayers...they were and are very much appreciated!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peoria looks more like Pleasantville. Glad to hear your Mom is feeling better. You know I've heard that Marijuana can be prescribed by a doctor and is very useful for Chemo patients. Each state is different so I'm not sure about yours.
Everybody needs a little fairy in their home or even a big one. LOL.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I don't think marijuana is allowed even for medicinal purposes in IL...anyway, I don't think mom could smoke it, with her lungs and all (this is not to say that she NEVER HAS, of course...but that was the 70s)!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Stephen R. said...

A Sunday at home watching Paula Deen. It don't get no better than that!!!

12:29 PM  
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Glad to hear your mom is perking up a bit and that you had a good visit. I totally can relate to the cell phone thing -- 2 years ago I went to Chicago for Halloween, only to leave my wallet in the car. It's very hard to get in anywhere with no I.D. (plus people are so big on the free shit for people with no money).

6:31 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Honey, next time just show a lil' leg and stick that thumb out. Somebody'll pull over for ya. :-)

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home