Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Yay! Mumsie* Goes Home Tomorrow...

I just got off the phone with mom...they're taking her down to remove the old port they installed for her chemo in June (and which got infected and they couldn't use, so she had to take the chemo through a vein in her arm). She'd said before that she wasn't going to let them put another one in, but she told me a few minutes ago that they're putting one in on the other side (they install it just near the neck arteries). Probably because her veins are in such bad shape from all the chemo that it's hard for the nurses to find one that works!

She sounded pretty chipper, too...nobody's been in today, but she's had lots of phone calls.

The big news is that she's going home tomorrow! Well, not her apartment, because the stairs might still be a bit too much with her sprained foot (did I mention she sprained her foot two weeks ago? Yeah, she did...it looked terrible when I first saw it Saturday, and that was after a week! It looked better by the time I left, but it needs more time to heal).

Anyway, she's going to be staying with my aunt and uncle, who live right down the road from her, so it's easy to get the whole family in one fell visit when I go.

The other day, while I was still there, she ate solid food for the first time in about two weeks (she'd been getting liquids before that). She had half a turkey sandwich (leaving most of the bread, but still...). And let me tell ya, I saw that sandwich and I don't think even I could have eaten it! So that was pretty encouraging...

Yay! Another milestone in the Mumsie* Recovery...



*OK, here's the deal...years ago, we watched "Mother Love" with Diana Rigg on PBS, and I dug the book up at the library to read it. She was a psychotic paranoid divorcee who forbade her grown son from contacting his father. He did, of course, which opened a whole 'nother can of worms...but anyway, in the book, she refers to her mother as "Mumsie," so I started calling Mom that as a joke. I used to call her "Mommie Dearest," but she was not amused...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news about the Mum. She'll do better away from the sterile confines of a Hospital. Mumsie sounds like something a girl named Buffy would call her mother in Beverly Hills. Classy.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks Ed...actually, we were pretty glad she was in the hospital for those few days, because she was eating NOTHING, had no energy and wouldn't move at all. My aunt finally had to go over and coerce her into going in for IVs to rehydrate her. But now that the "digestive upsets" are somewhat under control, I think she'll have a little more energy...

And I'm glad she's coming home, too! She'll be happier with my aunt and uncle cracking jokes than waiting for the "nice nurse" Tabitha to come...

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home