Tuesday, January 08, 2008

And I Thought I Was Crazy for Saving Plastic Shopping Bags

I'm a hoarder by nature. It's just one of the things I do. I suppose that it's learned behavior, both by watching my mom's habits (as we discovered when we helped her move out of her house a few years ago), and also because I'm sort of "out there on my own," and I never know when I might need to keep something back for a rainy day. I know that there are some things worth saving, too.

But I had to admit that this was a new one on me:

Stem Cell Save

I got this message from Joke-Of-The-Day.com. Usually, they only send me messages offering listings for dream beachfront property in Florida, Malibu and Sydney Australia. (Me? Living on a beach?? That would be a joke, don't you think?) But apparently, they've recently branched out into biotechnology. Who knew?

The offer on the lower right intrigued me as well. How much does one have to pay for really good cord blood these days? Is it more expensive than pomegranate juice? Because that's some pricey shit!

Finally, what sort of container would be required to store such things? Does Joke-Of-The-Day sell those too? The message didn't say...maybe I could just use Tupperware.

What a shame I didn't save that damned umbilical cord...it's the only memento from my infancy that isn't in a box somewhere.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Mom is a hoarder. She saves KFC plastic trays and styrofoam cups. I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it but she used to have my brothers umbilical cord in a jar. I'll have to inquire as to if she still has it but i'm sure it's around their someplace. Her cabinets are filled with plastic containers from butter and cottage cheese. I think it comes from growing up during the Great Depression. I'm afraid we'll all be experiencing that again soon ourselves, thanks George! Ed

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I asked my OB about the cord thing 'cause I'd never heard about it til I read a pregnancy magazine and his reaction was, "Eeh, might work, might not." Sarah

5:20 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Ed: I think the hoarding instinct DOES come from living in straitened circumstances...my parents both grew up pretty poor in the 50s (my mother's parents owned a grocery store, and she worked from the time she was 5) and my dad's family lived on a farm in SE Missouri...both are big savers! I'm just too guilty to throw things out, plus I live in constant fear of sudden poverty (I've been suddenly unemployed twice since living in Chicago, and even though I got my ass out and temped for a living, it was a close shave). But I have to say, I like the plastic bags to put my wet gym clothes in so that they don't get the other things in my duffel bag all mooshy...

Sarah: Your OB is probably right...I think this is more for genetic therapy purposes than anything else, and if we're old enough to be reading the ad, we're probably too old to still have umbilical remnants around, aren't we? Although they've made great strides just recently with stem cells from adults, too, which has mollified the religious right (I refuse to capitalize that)...so there must be something in it. But I don't have the freezer space to keep it in suspended animation. I can just see myself reaching for what I THINK is frozen chicken, and...well, you get the idea. Eesh.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Johnny C said...

After that whole stem cell thing with my brother I told friends to knock up some girl just to get the cord stem cells...

I've actually now have a bag of my stem cells waiting for me if I need it... I don't know what the expiration date is on them. Are they like frozen strawberries?

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home