Thursday, May 08, 2008

Matching Witz With the Best of 'Em

One of my old bosses got me turned onto Andy Borowitz, a humorist who may be best known as the creator of "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air." That's by far not his best work, though. He's also a brilliant news satirist in the vein of Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart, only he came first. He regularly appears in New York at venues such as Mo Pitkin's House of Satisfaction and other clubs.

His daily report always consists of a bogus news item that's spun off of a legitimate top story of the day. One of his trademarks is to use stock character names and insert them into whatever position his expert source happens to be. It's kind of like Roseanne Roseannadanna and her "Richard Fader."

In today's installment, he takes aim at Hillary and the desperate "never say die/just call it a deep coma" tenacity with which she hangs onto her campaign. He even gets a few jabs in at former Arkansas Governor Mike "We Don't Heart" Huckabee.

4 Comments:

Blogger American Girl said...

Did you see his piece in last week's New Yorker? He was answering letters as Al Zaqwiri (however you spell his name). Sort of giving advice, sort of human resource/PR department responses. I thought of you when I read it and forgot to mention it. Sarah

10:58 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I haven't read the New Yorker in a long time! I always enjoyed it when I did, though...I should subscribe to it. I love their "happenings about town" where they list the plays, shows, etc. And if they're running Andy Borowitz pieces, they're officially even more brill!

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some days I hav sound and some days not. Today is a no sound day. I'll have to check this out when/if the sound comes back on. I need a new Computer, this one was made in a garage by the founder of HP back in his college days I think. I do love political satire though. Ed

4:04 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Ed: There's no video, it's just a fake news column, so you won't need any fancy gadgetry or new-fangled machines!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home