Tuesday, April 07, 2009

A Few Pebbles in My Stream of Consciousness

I was saddened to read about this firefighter’s passing. I remember reading the book The Fire That Will Not Die, written by one of the survivors of the Our Lady of Angels School Fire (who has since passed away), and it struck me at the time how especially awful it was that the tragedy happened so close to Christmas. The fire happened in 1958--the kids were about the same age as my mom. (Incidentally, the photo of the fireman that accompanies this story is just the saddest thing in the world—he’s carrying the body of a 10-year-old who died from smoke inhalation.)

Speaking of unfortunate children, I feel mega-sorry for this kid. I saw her parents on A Bachelorette Wedding a few years ago (by default--it was on TV wherever I was) and hoped to God that these vapid Hasselbeck clones never reproduced. I hope there are some strong (non-relative) role models in this little girl’s life—she’s gonna need ‘em.

This is a cool idea, but I don’t know if it’s necessary to spend that much money to find out when it’s time to head for the basement.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Tornado study seems like a waste to me. I mean, what are they gonna do about them? They can't stop them or predict where they are going to hit. They can spend billions but they'll never learn to predict a Tornado for sure ahead of time. God only knows. ed

4:24 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I can only guess they're doing it to study exactly what causes them to form, so that when those circumstances come together in the future, people will be better warned?

I still don't think they'll ever be able to predict it with 100% accuracy. The whole problem is that the tornadoes destroy the equipment that's supposed to measure them.

That's because they're, you know, TORNADOES.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tornadoes are like women, they both scream when they come and take the house when they go. ed

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home