Friday, September 04, 2009

This is It

Joans CD Release Poster DC

Well, tonight is the night--we're finally releasing our debut CD, "We Are the Joans," a year after its completion. Such a long wait!! But I think it should be worth it.

I've listened to the CD a few times, and I think Taylor did a wonderful job of mixing it. I'm not overjoyed with my performance in a few places, but I did, after all, record all the drum tracks (for all 10 songs) within one eight-hour period (the first day in the studio, as a matter of fact). This was definitely a limited-budget affair. But for all that, Taylor (musical genius that he is) gave us a really retro/garage-band/surfy 60s sound that works well for the whole package. (He also played multiple instruments and was our session "dad" the whole time, which I'm sure often drove him nuts! But he bore it with good grace.)

Everybody has their moments on this album and the packaging, thanks to Mike Miller (layout), and Bill Morey and Chris Tisone (who graciously allowed us to use their house for the photo shoot as well as the "Mad At the Dirt" video shoot), looks crisp and colorful.

(I'm told that the photo of me on the cover looks "handsome." Denver the photographer must be a fucking SCIENTIST.)

If you're in Chi-town, come on out to Schubas and join our party! We're playing with the Wanton Looks and The Handcuffs! Party starts about 9:30-10:00.

As luck would have it, the "Mad At the Dirt" video was just released on YouTube yesterday. And here it is (we'll be showing it tonight too):

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The video is very good. Joan was so misunderstood. She wasn't mad at Christine or Bette she was mad at the filthy dirt! The drummer is quite handsome. I hope to see more videos in he future. ed

2:09 PM  
Anonymous carlnepa said...

Damn that Stephen Rader, always turning me onto new things. His blog is how I found yours and both blogs raised my awareness about the universality of Joan.
My partner is a recovering drag queen. Your new CD will part of his Xmas ensemble. I'm sure it'll make him sparkle even more.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Stephen R. said...

WOOHOO! I can't wait to hear the whole cd! I listened to my (now out-of-date) bootleg of "Mad at the Dirt" on the way downtown today. You look and sound sensational!

carlnepa - Glad I could "turn you on." To Aaron and The Joans. Hell, I'm glad I still have the power to turn somebody on!!! :)

2:29 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Ed, I thank you kindly. *bows in a courtly fashion--then probably bumps into something*

Carl--Thanks for supporting our cause! I hope you and your partner enjoy the CD. I like your comments on Dirk's blog, also--very sensible! I try to take your advice whenever I can...

Stephen--Thanks for your good wishes! The Joans and meeting you in person were two of the nicest things about 2007. And thanks again for coming out to see us!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous carlnepa said...

Well, my advice is worth every penny you pay for it and not one penny more!! And if you could see what's left of my 401K you'd know that doing the exact opposite of what I do is the surest way to success. But, I know a good man when I see one. I think you and Steven and Dirk and Tristan are good men. It reminds me of what Scarlet O'Hara's father told her with my own paraphrase, "A good man is the only thing worth fighting for, the only thing worth dying for". I'd hate to see Dirk lose Tristan over his inability to open up. Why shroud yourself with that drama when life is out there waiting to be had and they can have it together. But, it doesn't always work out that way, does it? I'll never understand why. Maybe so you know the real thing when it comes along? Regardless, I think and hope and wish them happiness together.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home