Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Stress Busting

We had a "stress management" seminar at work earlier today. It was presented by the lady from the Employee Assistance Program (which actually is a nice thing that we can take advantage of, in case people ever need counseling or something, they can call 24/7--I haven't yet, but then I'm not finished fashioning my noose).

The seminar went over all the common causes of stress, the ways in which we react (I was alarmed to learn that I'm entering the "body shutdown" phase, where you start to develop stress-related symptoms and have trouble focusing), and ways to cope.

One of the things that's always amused me is that whenever employers offer ways to relieve stress, these methods always place all of the onus on employees: i.e., "let's look at ways to 'empower' yourself, 'manage your time,' blah, blah, blah..." (What fucking time? Oh, but that's another blog entry for another occasion.)

One of the things I did find useful was a sheet of tips for specific circumstances. On one side was the circumstance, on the other was a suggestion for a hobby to relieve stress. So "if you work under direct supervision," maybe you need "an activity without judgement."

My hobbies are music and theatre. Yeah.

Shit. I'm SO fucked.

2 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

But your band got a gig -- is that what they are still called? I am so out of touch with what you young people call things -- so obviously you have talent. Therefore the abject adulation should be a salve for what ails you.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

It IS fun...but very stressful sometimes! So much drama! Why, oh why, couldn't I have stuck with ceramics? Now THAT was the thing. I still have the dog with the creepy eyes that I made in 1978...

We've had a kick-ass last few rehearsals, though, so I'm looking forward to Saturday...the last one was a lot of fun and we DID get lots of praise.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home