Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Don't Fear The "Reefer"

Last night, I went to see Hell In A Handbag's staged reading of "Reefer Madness-The Musical." It was fan-freakin'-tastic! My friend Stephen was there with a few of his friends, and very generously bought me several birthday drinks.

Thanks again, Stephen! My friend Michael played a triple role (notably the singing lecturer), and it was a real treat to watch him play the mother of young innocent Jimmy Harper, the all-American youth who's led astray by the evils of marijuana. "Mary Jane." "Loco Weed." "Wacky Tobacky," if you will. (Michael, I'd love to see your Marilyn Manson--I mean, Monroe!) There were also several adorable boys in the cast. EVERYONE was adorable. I was just in "adorable overload" last night, and that's my favorite state to be in!

The cast also featured Trista Smith as hardened pothead and rapid-piano-player Sally and Trish Austin as pot den owner Mae. They both entered Hell In A Handbag the same day I did. I was so proud last night to be in their class! *sniff sniff* And Tim Howard as Jack, the evil pot pusher man, doubling as a singing Jesus. (Trust me, this is one musical whose writers seem to have researched their subject, if you catch my drift!)

Congratulations to Hell In A Handbag on a successful first annual Summer Camp series!

***************************************

In other news, I talked to my mom last night. Her doctor went over the results of her scans, and the cancer has moved to her liver. I was shaken by this, but she hastened to point out it is not liver cancer, it's breast cancer, which is not as aggressive, so it's very treatable. She will, however, have to have chemo again, which isn't terrific news, but I think she'll be relieved to just have it and be done. She will have the port put in tomorrow (an outpatient procedure) and have her first treatment next Wednesday. I'm going down late next week to see her anyway, so I may just head down Thursday instead of Friday (she said she doesn't need me to come down before that--she assured me that she WOULD let me know if she did).

So we're praying and hoping for the best. She's strong and still fairly young (just turned 60), so she's got those things going for her. And she feels fine, too--still working and as energetic as always. Also, this recurrence is already three years old--she's been taking drugs to sort of "contain" it for three years, and her doctor says that chemo might even put her back in remission. Since we thought that would never happen again (just thought she'd "manage" it for the rest of her life), this might actually be better news than we'd had since the recurrence.

I still worry about things, and about being in another city, but at least I can get there within a few hours, which helps. I've also been going to visit about once every two months, which has been kind of nice (it's good to get out of the city every so often--and I'm one of the few people who don't mind going back to Peoria to visit--most of my friends who've left, once having gotten out, avoid it like the Black Forest).

So, all in all, it was a strange sort of birthday, but most of it was really, really nice. I sense things slowly getting better, in spite of everything.

I'll go back to bitching tomorrow. :-)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They can do wonders nowadays against cancer. Even in Peoria. Bummer news on your birthday though. Glad you had a good time last night.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Jason Falls said...

Prayin' dawg. Didn't know until now. Hang in there.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Ed: Yes, she has a really good doctor who came from Mayo Clinic originally, and did his residence at Rush Presbyterian in Chicago, I think. He's one of the best in his field.

Jason: Thanks! Much appreciated. Apparently, the stuff they're going to give her is what they used for the HR director where she works, and hers had spread quite a bit. That lady's doing really well now. Mom's isn't even as advanced, so this makes it look more favorable...so we'll keep thinking positive thoughts and praying!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add my good thoughts to the mix, for whatever they're worth. My own Peorian mom is a 20-year breast cancer survivor, so you're right to keep thinking positive.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's unfortunate news about your mom. She sounds like she's getting excellent care from her doctor and her family.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks, Dave and Sarah...I think all positive thoughts and prayers really do make a difference. She certainly feels positive, so as long as she does, I do! (Well, mostly. :-))

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home