Saturday, February 16, 2008

Daddy Sick, The Nicest Kids in Town and More...

I'm getting over something today...I don't know what it was, but it came on when I woke up Thursday night and had chills (despite the radiator being on and putting out an INSANE amount of heat, as it always does--and let's not even talk about the fucking noise it makes--it sounds like my Uncle Horace hiccuping after a big meal). I got up to use the facilities and get a drink of water and every step hurt and made my head ring. Like a fucking moron, I went in to work anyway, because I didn't want to use up any sick days (I figure when I have the nervous breakdown, I'll be glad I hoarded them). So I spent a not-TOO-difficult day with a mostly skeleton staff, since so many folks in our office suite were at off-site meetings or sick themselves.

However, the longer the day dragged on, the worse I felt. By the end of the day, I was literally walking like Mrs. Wiggins on the "Carol Burnett Show." My energy was gone. I had brought jeans to change into, thinking I may stop off at Big Chick's for a few quick ones, as is my Friday custom. But as 4:00 rolled around, and I had an hour left to go, it was apparent that I would be spening the evening curled up in a fleecy blanket and watching my "All In The Family" discs from Netflix. I should note that my mini-plague did NOT stop me from going to the gym yesterday at lunch. But I only did the elliptical machine for a half hour and didn't lift at all (I would have dropped it on my head). Any my workout music? Gilbert O'Sullivan.

Oh, yeah--Daddy decided to embrace his impending old age with gusto.

I went to bed very early (well, 9:30 which is early for ME on a Friday night) and woke up this morning feeling a little more refreshed. I did laundry, had breakfast and took longer over my toilette than usual (so as not to be thrown on a wooden cart when the man went by calling "bring out your dead").

I went to a table reading of two proposed shows for Hell in a Handbag, being considered for Summer Camp, a full run, or both...one of them was very, very funny, and right up our street. But I won't say another word about it--just yet. We'll leave that to our artistic director, Mr. Cerda. He always does splashy announcements so well!

I just got back, after stopping off at the crack Jewel (as my friend Dave Awl used to refer to it) for some ice cream (hey I need a little comfort now!), low-fat pasta sauce (but not TOO much comfort) and bananas. I may go out for a bit this evening just to be social, but I need to catch a lot of Zs tonight, becaaaaauuuuse...

Tomorrow The Joans are guesting on Chica-Go-Go, a "dance music program for children of all ages." We'll be lip-synching to a cleaned-up version of "Mad At The Dirt" that we put together for a friend of mine who's a musical director of an NPR station in Wisconsin. Since we're miming, I don't need to bring my full kit, so I may just bring the bass drum, a cymbal, the snare and a stand...I'll figure it out. We're called at noon...

I'm not sure when this particular show is being telecast, but the shows air twice a week, and up-to-date information can be found on their MySpace site (which currently was last updated before we officially accepted, so they'll probably post our air date in the next couple of days).

Peace out...but don't PASS out...like I'm about to...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! You've been to The Bozo Ball and now you're going to be on Chica-go-go! Pea green, Mister, that's what I am!

Wow, I never realized until just now how much I miss the bizarreness that is Chica-go-go.

Sarah

9:15 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

This will be a new experience for me! If you were in Chicago, we would insist on your coming down to dance with us. We need some adults there! So the kids don't lynch Davy in drag...:-)

I'm torn between really looking forward to it and just wanting to heave. (But I think that's the flu.)

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself Aaron, don't try to be tough and ignore your health. Wrap up in a blankie and turn that heat up sit in front of the TV and watch "All in the Family" a classic ground breaking sit-com. From showing Gloria's baby boy naked to flushing the stool, "he'll be right down" it showed the fiobles and confusion of a middle aged man living in Queens. "Boy the way Glen Miller played..."

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed, damn that anonymous crap!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks Ed, I'm doing better today! And I've watched the entire disc of "All in the Family," time to send it back and get the next "Two's Company."

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home