Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Retro Recap

It occurred to me that I never wrote about my weekend...and since I have nothing else to write about (except the local election results, which were mighty disappointing to ME), and it's a crappy, wet, cold Wednesday (and I think I'm coming down with something AGAIN, goddamnit!), and I'm too tired to be angry and rant about anything, I'll just describe what I did over the weekend...try not to fall asleep.

Friday

I went to the Flesh Hungry Dog Show at Jackhammer, and there were two bands that I really enjoyed--and I won a T-shirt! I had to leave before the third band was finished, because I was heading down to Peoria on Saturday morning and wanted to be on the road at 7:00. I'm usually running late, though...



Saturday

I was running late. After I cleaned the car off, I hit the road about 8:30. I took along season 3 of the Doris Day Show on DVD to watch with mom at the home (she has a TV and DVD player in her room). I got to Chillicothe just before 11:00, and stopped by the store to see Aunt Fay who works there, and pick up some cereal, hot sauce and crackers (Kroger brands were on sale). Then I went over to the home and spent the day with mom. We had a nice visit and she and Peggy (her roommate) enjoyed the "Doris Day Show." I noticed that when mom goes into the bathroom now, she goes on her own--I'm not sure if she's supposed to do that, but I asked Peggy if she'd done it before, and Peggy said yes. So I decided not to worry about it (she did it twice with no mishaps, so it must be fine--she didn't seem shaky either).

About 6:00, I went to Monical's and got a pizza and brought it back to the room. Mom and I and Peggy ate the pizza and watched "The Simpsons." I hit the road about 7:30, stopping to get gas on the way out of town. I got back to Chicago at 10:00, and was going to stop somewhere for a drink on the way home, but couldn't find parking anywhere...so I just went home! On a Saturday! Can you believe it?! I just checked my e-mail and listened to some music for a while. Then I heard some scratching and looked over to see my cat pawing at the rug I just put in front of the door (to leave my wet boots). A small wet spot was freshly made in the middle. And it wasn't from the boots.

"Oh no, you DI-ENT!" I screamed. I got up to go get a closer look and my cat Pisspot Sophie took flight. I chased her around the apartment until I was winded she crawled under the bed where I couldn't reach. But I saw glowing eyes peering out at me periodically while I was on the computer.

"Yeah, you better stay under there, you little bitch."






Sunday

I made a lovely breakfast of banana milkshake and toast and a pot of coffee, then went to see my friend Stephen's play "Lyle Lyle Crocodile" across the street at the Lifeline Theatre. (It's a kid's show--I saw it three times. The first time, because Stephen was in it, and the second and third times because I love the actors that play the Mom and Dad, especially the mom. She has a great voice.) I bought a cast recording this time, too, because I quite like some of the songs, especially "People Like You," which has a touch of "Don't Rain On My Parade" to it and "Soon We'll Have You Home Again," which is pure early 70's Carole King.

Then in the afternoon, I went to Taylor's house for Joans rehearsal. We were minus George (the bass player), because he had to work overtime, it being Super Bowl Sunday (he works for a caterer). So we just went over a few songs, and called it a day at about 5:30. I was too tired to go out to the bar to watch the game (and I never watch it at home alone), and I didn't really care about the game anyway. Not even the promise of Lori Tom Petty's half-time show was enough to induce me to watch. So I just went home and watched "Maude" on DVD and read for a while. My life is so exciting.

Maude Cover


Monday

Back to work--ta-dah! One of my bosses is on vacation this week, so I've had a bit of a break from his usual (self-induced) crises and melodramas...it's almost like having a vacation myself! Almost...

Hope you're all having a great week! Hello? Are--are you awake?

*whispers* Oh...I'll just close the door quietly on my way out...

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen R. said...

Thanks for seeing LYLE 3 times!!! And anytime you wanna hang out and watch MAUDE, I'm there!!!!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

You're welcome--I enjoyed the show (it's good for ADULTS, too!) and the whole cast. (I especially admired all you Primms for playing so many parts...;-))

And we will have to hang out and watch "Maude" one of these days...the convention episode, the first Florida Evans episode, the pregnancy (two-parter) and the pot episode were the best...

I also have that Doris Day show which I'll bring back next time I visit Mom...

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom sounds like she's in good spirits. Of course, nothing like a visit from her boy to perk her up a bit more.

I loved Doris' gogo boots and hats in the opening of the show.
Sarah

2:34 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

And her CAR!! When I was a little kid, I wanted a red Dodge Dart convertible just like the one she had in the opening sequence...

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home