Sunday, April 13, 2008

Scary Hairy

Yesterday, I drove downstate to visit Mom (I go every three Saturdays). She was happy and perky, although she no longer has any grasp on reality. In many ways, she's very childlike--she's happy to see EVERYONE and, as I've mentioned, she makes up stories all the time (I can't tell if she's just making them up, or if she really thinks these things have happened--my guess is a combination of the two).

Anyway, yesterday she happened to be getting her hair highlighted in the beauty shop down the hall. The girl that does her hair mixed up a batch of the highlighting stuff (it looks a lot like white pudding) and put the cap on Mom's head (she looked delightfully Mennonite for a few minutes) and pulled strands of hair through with the little hook dealie. She applied the solution and when she was finished, she had over half of it still left.

She turned to me, with mischief in her eyes. "You want yours done?"

I stared back, with misguided adventure in my eyes. "What the hell, why not?"

She didn't put the cap on me, but she did what she called "blocking"--just pulling tufts of hair into spikes and putting the solution on. She had us both sit there for about 20 minutes, then it was time to wash it out.

When I asked "Why not?" I shouldn't have made it a rhetorical question. THIS is why not:


Aaron New Hair

You can't really tell by the photo (I had to correct the levels because the flash washed it out), but I have not been this blond since I was about 16 years old and used to go to the public outdoor swimming pool in town every afternoon. And put Sun-In and Oxy Wash in my hair to lighten it. It looked good back then.

I'm afraid it may look a little goofy now. Don't get me wrong--Julie did a good job (that's the beauticians name and I remembered while I was there that she and I had gone to grade school together), and applied it just the way she should have. But on me, the color looks less "Troy Donahue" and more "Link Hogthrob." I haven't spent all that much time outside the last few months (go figure!), and my skin is as pasty as biscuit dough. Not to mention the grey hairs in my goatee.

I'm getting used to it, though...and I'll have plenty of time to do so. My hair grows about 1/2 inch every two months, so I'll have lots of time to get accustomed to it.

Tomorrow we'll see if I get any points and snickers on the bus. I'm bringing the sharp-ended umbrella just in case...

8 Comments:

Blogger Stephen R. said...

You look cute as always!! And how much do I love that you used Sun-In back in the day! You and I were separated at birth.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Well, you left me with the entire ass! Thanks a lot! :-)

Thanks for the nice words...so far, only two people have noticed (at least to mention it), so I suppose it's not TOO garish...

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it true blonds have more fun? Why not do a blond and see? Is that how that goes?
I'm glad the place where your Mom is takes good care of her. Many places would not bother with highlights and such.
When your hair does grow out I think Blond hair with dark roots is very sexy on a guy. Ed

5:38 PM  
Blogger David said...

Ooh! How Jean Harlow of you!

5:50 PM  
Blogger American Girl said...

On the plus side, your mom wasn't getting a bikini wax. Sarah

5:51 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Ed: Yes, it's a great facility. As far as blondes having more fun, I can't say that it's true in my experience...but if I were more "forward" in my approach to guys, maybe it would be. Usually I just sit, smile demurely and sip my drink. Until it kicks in. Then I cuss like a sailor...

David: I'd say it's probably more "Aunt Ida" than Jean Harlow, but I'll take your suggestion! :-)

Sarah: I don't think my mom ever entertained such a thought, even when she was young. To her, a "Brazilian" is Sergio Mendes...;-)

8:12 PM  
Blogger Gregory said...

I want to see you poke someone with the Umberella ella ella.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Wait until the next rainy day, Gregory...it could happen!

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home