Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Stupid Republicans + Firearms = Party Time!

Well, this sounds barking mad to me, but then, I don't live there, so I suppose I mustn't complain.

Oh, fuck that--I'm gonna complain. Because this is a slippery, slippery slope, people--once one state has it, you know every other state's gonna slowly follow suit until we basically live in a vigilante state.

We're not talking about a place that's largely rural here. This is a state with a LOT of urban areas. How is it safe to carry a gun everywhere? And once they're allowed to CARRY the guns (in their cars--you know the cars they're supposed to be paying attention to the road, and NOT their guns, while they're driving?), how will the law be bent, distorted and manipulated until it allows people to shoot whomever they feel threatens them?

I'm sorry Charlton Heston kicked off and all, but this is a piss-poor tribute.

My favorite quote is from Sen. Durell Peaden (Republican--as if you had to ask!), who said that the new law secures citizens' rights under the Second Amendment, "the right to bear arms," and that our founding fathers would approve.

"That was what was dear to their hearts," he says.

Oh, really? From everything I've read, I thought drinking whiskey and having sex with their servants and not getting caught were more dear to their hearts. But I suppose the guns were nice, too.

So now Florida has the "Take Your Gun to Work" law. So how do they reconcile this with "Take Your Daughter To Work Day?" What happens when the two coincide? And the daughter is like Rhoda from "The Bad Seed?"

What THEN, hmmmmm???

You see? They don't think these things through properly...

2 Comments:

Blogger American Girl said...

OMG! I just copied the quote from Senator Durrell because that argument makes me nuts!

Maybe Senator Durrell has forgotten that Jefferson and friends also put in the Constitution the rules to AMEND the Constitution to fit with the times. The Constitution wasn't carved in fucking stone for a reason. Sarah

5:29 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Exactly! And they weren't dealing with automatic weapons back then, either--they had muskets! It's awfully hard to accidentally shoot someone with one of those...if you packed those muthas down, you KNEW who you were shootin'!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home