Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Finally!!

uptown03

This got me very excited. I've gazed at the outside of this building for years and years, sadly wondering why it sat in slumber. And wishing somebody would wake it with a kiss.

And now somebody has. UTII, an entity formed from Jam Productions, has finalized the purchase of the Uptown Theatre and plans to renovate the building. Well, so many potential buyers planned to renovate, but none ever followed through. At least we know that Jam can do it--they have the pockets.

Also, since they are a concert promotion company, they have an interest in seeing it properly restored as a performance venue. I've been waiting for years to see the finished inside--at least now we know it will happen! Of course, with the Aragon and the Riviera both a mere block away, and the Annoyance Theatre a few feet away, the Uptown neighborhood and the Lawrence/Broadway corridor in particular, will be saturated with performance venues.

But like I always say, you can't have too many.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a magnificent old building. They don't make them like that anymore. I hope the Joans will be the opening show. It needs some good Drummer sounds reverberating to rock the joint into the 21st Century. ed

5:07 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I've never seen the stage, but I knew from the first time I saw the building from the OUTSIDE that I would KILL to play there!!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought we might be neighbors when I saw Uptown and jam (as in Jimmy Jam) I guess not. I like your blog however.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks much, Jen! Drop by anytime--I try to keep it interesting...

1:19 AM  
Blogger American Girl said...

I had a friend who worked her ass off trying to get that place renovated. Glad to hear it's finally happening.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home