Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Little Christmas Tree That Almost Could...

I don't have a big Christmas tree anymore--I donated my 6 1/2 foot artificial one to Brown Elephant a few weeks ago, so I'm using the miniature treetop fiber optic one I bought for Mom's room in the nursing home last year.

It wasn't a terribly expensive tree, and the bulb seems to have burned out on the bottom. After disassembling the base and determining that it's NOT just a simple 15 watt bulb I need to replace, but rather something resembling the headlight on Mr. Magoo's car, I decided to just dig a small string of lights out of my closet and use those for illumination. While I was going through the box, I also came across a treetopper I once bought in a fit of tacky nostalgia back during college: a white satin angel with a resin head (looking ever-so-slightly like Vivian Vance) and a tinsel halo. It plugs into any socket on the string of lights and holds a candle (represented by a similar white light).

Over the years, it's lain forgotten in my box of decorations (with good reason, you might say). But this year, something in me cried out for something familiar and fun. In the absence of that, I decided to use the angel again. After being in the box for so long, its dress is somewhat creased and rumpled, giving it the effect of being lifted on the right side:

Christmas Tree 2008 002

The angel's face bears an expression of what, I suppose, should represent serenity, but instead registers complete apathy:

Christmas Tree 2008 004

Behold: Ethel Mertz, holding a candle in while somebody peeks up her dress, and not really giving a shit...

Ho ho ho!

4 Comments:

Blogger Java said...

Cute little tree. Scary little tree topper. At least she looks apathetic and not vengeful. With angelic beings one can never be too careful.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks, Java! Yes, I didn't want bad karma on my tree along with everything else this year...

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what is Brown elephanent and why did they take your tree? The small one is nice though, I like the Angel with an attitutde. It fits. ed

4:34 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Brown Elephant (I should have explained) is a charity shop that's run by the Howard Brown Health Centers in Chicago. They care for a lot of the GLBT population here.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home