Friday, December 12, 2008

Sar-chasms

My favorite modern, made-up word. Referring to the gulf between the users of dry humor and those who can't understand it. Perhaps this was their problem! (I know it explains a lot about the people in my life.)

Due to technical difficulties (the file is on another computer), Unwanted Advice will not appear today. Look for it Monday in its regularly scheduled time slot, then again next Friday.

And you know what that means--TWO Unwanted Advices in the same week! Aren't you positively dizzy with excitement?! (Oh, that's the glaag, is it? Where can I get some?)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That does explain a lot. This place were I live is sorely lacking in sincerity but sarcasm is abounding. I do so hate to waste my time thinking up a great sarcastic line and have it go undetected. I found it amusing that the Dementia people don't get sarcasm but the Alzheimer patients do. I think our dear Lame duck leader needs to be tested.really. ed

11:52 AM  
Blogger Java said...

Fascinating study in that link there. And yes, I can see where that may explain some of the sar-chasm I've experienced.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Stephen R. said...

"Sar-chasm" is now my new favorite word! Brilliant!

I encounter so many sar-chasms when I'm back home in TN! :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Ed: I see lots of sarcasm, especially from really young people who don't know how to wield it properly, don't understand half of what they say themselves. At least they have the excuse of youth--some people are genuinely just too stupid to get it, or they are just so unconcerned with anything but themselves that they don't bother to know what others mean.

Java: I'd never heard of the study before this, but it made lots of sense once I read about it. Alzheimer's patients lose their MEMORY, but they're not insane. Those with dementia have a warped sense of reality (along with the unconcerned outlook described above), so they would see sarcasm as earnest sometimes.

Stephen: There are "sar-vallies" where I live, but also a select few who get it. Those are the people I spend my time with! :-)

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home