Sunday, February 01, 2009

I Liked the Brunette, Too...

Last night, I went to Circle Theatre in Forest Park to see friend and fellow Handbagger Brigitte Ditmars in Circle's production of the flapper era musical comedy "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes." I'd been meaning to go see it forever (it's been running since before Christmas), but what with one thing and another, you know...I procrastinated! But it was closing weekend, so I knew it was now or never.

Brigitte played brunette Dorothy, the man-loving, libidinous, less class-conscious of the two (Jane Russell in the movie version), and Rachel Quinn played the titular, gold-digging blonde, Lorelei. Both ladies did a superb job and the choreography and use of stage space were remarkable. (Circle has a stage that's laterally narrow, but quite deep, and they make the most of every square foot!)

The seating is very close together, and the median age of the Forest Park resident, appears to be about 85. So there was lots of gingerly stepping around, and many of the chair seats near the front were reserved for specific parties of folks. It wasn't until the play actually started that I realized that the seat I was sitting in was reserved also, the fourth in a series of four. But the rest of the party had arrived by then, and the fourth member was an apparent cancellation, so fortunately nobody else was using it. So, to the fourth member of the Hagen party, whoever you are, thanks for not coming!

I enjoyed the show a lot and am hoping to get to see "Tommy" when they do it later this year, as well as "The Pajama Game."

Thanks Brigitte! Nicely done.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen R. said...

They're doing THE PAJAMA GAME! Woohoo! I love that show! I'm so there! Maybe two people from the Hagen party will cancel during it's run and we'll be able to see THE PAJAMA GAME together. :)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

It's a date...we can make our reservations as Mr. and Mrs. Hagen! (I'll go dress shopping before that--I'm thinking a nice Barbara Bush-esque tufted-button brocade suit.)

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Festus Hagen said to tell you that you're welcome. He had another commitment in Dodge City, I think it was in Boot Hill. Titular, LOL. Ed

7:21 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

LOL...not sure I would want to see this particular guy carry a gun! Although he did seem to enjoy the show...

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home