Thursday, May 24, 2007

Fine With Me...I'd Rather Keep It Anyway

The Food and Drug Administration (which is apparently in the business of personally sampling every drug it approves) has decided to leave in place a 1983 ban prohibiting gay men from donating blood. The policy is, of course, intended to prevent the spread of HIV through blood transfusions.

I can understand that they have to have safeguards in place. Let's just hope we don't have to hear them bitch and complain about all these shortages. It's kinda like all these fundies bitching about abortion, yet squalling like sodomized hens about gay couples adopting. If you won't let us be part of the solution, then shut up about the problem.

**********************

In other news, I saw The Handcuffs last night at the Double Door. They were terrific.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephen R. said...

I thought I was the only person bothered by this ban still being in effect. For years now, African-American women 18 to 25 years of age have been one of the most at-risk groups for HIV infection. Yet, that group can still donate blood and they should be able to. As should gay men. Why? BECAUSE THE BLOOD SUPPLY IS TESTED NOW!

It's just one more example of how afraid straight people are of us. Even the liberals who say they have no problem with homosexuals. But at the core of most of them is a belief that we are sick - - both mentally and I suppose also physically.

Thanks for a great post!!!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I gave blood once several years ago. I was surprised when the sweet little lady blurted out in front of everyone, "Have you ever had sex with another man?" I thought well that is a bit personal. She didn't care if I'd had sex with Thousands of females. Her only concern was that I wasn't one of those HIV slinging perverts. If I had it to do over today I like to think I would have looked her in the eyes and said, Honey, I've never had sex with a female but in your case I think I'll make an exception.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Ed, you're such a sweet-talker--what little old lady could resist? :-)

Stephen: That's exactly what I was thinking--they DO test the blood! So what's the difference between an honest gay man and a dishonest closet queen who denies having gay sex? Hmmm...

5:30 PM  
Blogger Stephen R. said...

"So what's the difference between an honest gay man and a dishonest closet queen who denies having gay sex?"

Well, what's the difference between me and Ryan Seacrest? Other than the whole, "hair" thing.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many things wrong with that ban I could scream. The lame-ass, swiss cheese excuse is that the HIV test they give the blood isn't a 100% accurate.

"Slept with a dozen hookers of the opposite sex? Have a seat!"
"Slept with one man this year? Get lost."
Etc, ect.

BC

12:06 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

BC: Exactly! The ban does include hookers, but there's NOTHING prohibiting a frequent JOHN from giving life nectar, so long as it's the opposite sex he's slept with, so far as I can see...double-douchy standards!

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home