Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow...

I was wrong about the chemo my mom's having--it DOES make your hair fall out.

I haven't talked with her for about a week and a half (although we've e-mailed a couple of times), but she e-mailed me a picture from her summer picnic at work last night, and I just opened it today. It was kind of a shock, because for some reason, I thought this stuff DIDN'T make your hair fall out! (I don't know why I thought that--any kind of chemo stops cell growth, and that includes hair.)

She feels fine otherwise and I talked to her a few minutes ago (she left me a voice mail while I was out that her land line and e-mail are on the fritz, so to call her cell if I needed to get hold of her--she'd emailed the picture from work). She just got her taste back and said "I have a week before the next treatment, so I guess I'll have to enjoy it while I can."

She has a wig, but doesn't wear it often--she just wears a ball cap when she's outside, then just leaves it bald at work. She did that the last time, too, 13 yrs. ago. (At Halloween, she dressed up as Uncle Fester from "The Addams Family." I wonder if she'll do that this year, too. She works at a different place now, so they won't have seen it.)

Her next chemo's on Friday--the same day as our Joans gig! I feel kind of weird about that somehow...although it's not like I could do anything extra anyway, and all her family are down there, which is a relief to me, knowing that she's always got someone there.

It's times like this that make me wonder if I did the right thing moving away (even though she was cancer free when I came here 10 years ago)...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom beat it before and she can do it again. she has family there and anyway if she's anything like my mom when she's feeling sick she won't want anybody about the place. Your only a phone call away.
Part of me wants to move to a bigger city and part wants to stay near my parents who need my help more all the time.
I was so glad to read in dear abbey about a woman with several children. When she got sick her "normal" children had no time for here and didn't want her. Only her Gay son whom she had rejected would take her in and watch over her. She said she wished that she had not rejected him and his lover so many years ago. I know if I ever have a lover he will not be welcome but I don't want to be alone all my life, you know? Have a great weekend, Aaron.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Johnny C said...

My brother went through chemo a few months ago... and yes his hair fell out, but it all grew back thicker than ever... I actually bought him a leather skull cap from that store next to Touches' it was the only place I could find one...

and Ed... there is a lovely This American Life Piece about that same subject of a gay man taking care of his ailing mother... it makes me weep...

12:56 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks, Ed and Johnny...I appreciated both of your comments.

I saw the Dear Abby piece, and thought it was really lovely. She's in her 70s now, and realized that her son and his partner ("Ron") are loving, generous people. Folks always realize that about us, once they give us a chance! And Ed, you can always visit a big city when you have a few free days. They're only a short trip away (as I've found).

And Johnny, I wish you and your brother the best. I hope he's doing wonderfully...

1:54 AM  
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Sending tons of good thoughts to you and your mom, Aaron. Sounds like she has a good attitude which is really important.

Good luck with the Joans gig. Hope to catch you guys one of these days!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks Dirk, your good thoughts are appreciated!

And The Joans are just racking up gigs all over the place...we're playing again August 3 at Jackhammer, and it looks like we'll be playing with The Rotten Fruits on August 24, too. We'll be sure and keep everyone posted on our doin'ses...

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home