Wednesday, November 14, 2007

You Better Watch Out...


Fascist Pig Santa threatens gay elf Score (Peter Mavrik) to work faster or else in Hell in a Handbag Productions' "Rudolph the Red-Hosed Reindeer." Photo by Rick Aguilar.

We're getting closer to our final week of rehearsals for "Rudolph the Red-Hosed Reindeer" (we're off next week because of the holiday, and because a few cast members are going out of town). This is my second year playing Santa, and I'm once again looking forward to it. I'm a little more ambivalent than last year, just because of everything that's been going on, and I feel like I've got half my brain on that while I'm doing everything else, but they've very kindly gotten me an understudy for the show in case something happens. Said understudy (Sam Brown) can currently be seen (at least for the next few nights) in HIAH's "The Birds" at Berger Park, playing Mike the stage manager. I've been enjoying house managing for "The Birds" since I've gotten to know some of the cast members, including Sam, and they're all very talented. The show's hella-fun, too! They've gotten rave reviews, and were even mentioned in Camille Paglia's salon.com column this week.

Compare with such accolades, my turn as Santa seems like paltry potatoes--no celebrity endorsements yet (but who gives the official stamp of approval to such things? Wilford Brimley?). But I still enjoy doing playing him. He's not your typical garden-variety-kindly-drunken shopping mall Santa. This Santa is a misogynistic, homophobic, capitalist pig. As David Cerda said to me last year, "it's not really acting."

Thanks. I feel the warmth.

"Rudolph the Red-Hosed Reindeer" opens November 30 and runs Fridays at 10:00PM, Saturdays at 7:00PM and Sundays at 3:30PM through December 30 at the Bailiwick Repertory (1232 W. Belmont). For ticket information, visit Hell In A Handbag's web site. In the meantime, here's one more photo to entice you:


Santa loses patience with the flamboyant Rudolph (Corey Mills) as a horrified Score looks on in Hell In A Handbag Production's "Rudolph The Red-Hosed Reindeer." Photo by Rick Aguilar.

Isn't your mouth watering now? (Or just your eyes?)

9 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Sounds like you're going to enjoy it this year. Have a fun time with it and "break a leg!" And what an honor to play the man full of jelly. ;-)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

He's full of more than that, Steven! Thanks for the good wishes...

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an evil mind when i saw score and his name I said to myself, " I would really want to Score with him."
The attributes your Santa has is enough to make us best friends.
Could you make him a little more liberal though?
Break a leg...preferably not your Director's. You have a good life after all, Aaron, in spite of everything. Big Gay hug to the north pole and back.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Yes, Peter is a cutie. He's also very nice. And yes, despite everything, I have many blessings and don't think I don't thank the Big Guy for them every day! (Or should I say the "Big Girl?" "Big Gal?" "Full-Figured Gal?" "Queen Bee?" Fuck it, I'm going back to the "Big Guy!")

Thanks for the nice thoughts!

5:05 PM  
Blogger David said...

theres no pig in my description Aaron...how DARE you twist my words!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Stephen R. said...

You Better Watch Out, indeed! I can't wait to see you in this show. You are going to be brilliant!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks, Stephen...I promise to make it fun!

And it's called, erm--"poetic license," David...and as to twisting your words, you just noticed NOW?! :-)

12:46 AM  
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Looking forward to catching you as the man in red again this year.

Big hugs and break a leg, Aaron!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks Dirk...it'll be great to see ya! We have a REAL woman playing Mrs. Claus this year--and she does a great drunk! Something tells me she's had experience...:-) And our wonderful Ed is still in the show, playing a very special part...

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home