Monday, May 19, 2008

Gone

I've been scarce for a few days, but wanted to check in and say hi...

I also wanted to share some news--many of you know that my mom has been ill for quite a while with metastatic breast cancer.

I wanted to let everyone know that Mom passed away last night just before midnight. Her last few days were very peaceful and I had spent much of the past week visiting her for Mother's Day and the next few days. I'm very glad I did, because it was the last time I saw her conscious. I returned to work Thursday and Friday got the call from my Aunt Fay that Mom was not expected to make it past the weekend.

I got to Chillicothe (IL) around 6:00 and spent the next few days at her bedside...she was receiving regular doses of morphine and Ativan and her passing was very peaceful.

The nurses at the home were very kind to me and my family, bringing me meals on a tray and making sure we had fresh coffee and water the entire time. They had grown to love Mom during the nine months that she spent there, and they shed lots of tears last night along with us. But we're very relieved she didn't suffer any more and we're grateful to be together right now.

Her visitation is Wednesday night at Weber-Hurd Funeral Home in Chillicothe, and I'll be heading back to Chicago to face my demonic cat (who pissed on my dry-cleaning pile by way of a bon voyage present) on Thursday.

I'll be on and off until then, but will post her obituary and some pictures later this week.

Love to all,

Aaron

P.S. Get the niceness while you can. On Friday, the bitch is back. ;-)

7 Comments:

Blogger American Girl said...

So sorry for your loss. I know you said you got to a place of acceptance but this must still be a difficult time for you. I don't think anyone has the words to ease anyone's sorrow at these times so I'm just sending you a big virtual hug (and a virtual spanking to that bad cat).

Sarah

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaron, thinking of you...

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew something was going on. I know you'll miss your Mom a lot. Words can not assuage the feeling of emptiness and loss you must feel. She has passed into a better place where there is no more pain or sorrow. A virtual hug and back rub. An internet peck on the cheek. Ed

7:15 AM  
Blogger Johnny C said...

Aaron... I'm so, so sorry. I feel like I knew your mother from your funny and wonderful posts about your visits to her. I'm glad you were there for her and I'm happy that she is at peace. Kudos to the staff at the nursing home for their kindness to you and your family.

Big hugs.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you right now, sweetie. Look forward to your return.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Big hugs and take care of yourself, 'kay?

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home