Thursday, December 07, 2006

Celebrity Homophobes

With the world in such a screwed-up state--with war going on, with Britney flashing her cooter, Madonna adopting a baby, George Bush STILL in office, and George Ryan out on bail--its only natural that a gay boy's thoughts this Christmas season should flash to what's most important:

Which doddering celebrity is denouncing us now? (You thought I was going to say "sugarplums," didn't you? No, I like dried figs better.)

Speaking of dried things, what about that crazy Carol Channing? A few months ago, she did a telephone interview with some gay rag in Springfield, OH. During the course of the interview, she was asked about her large gay following. She seemed genuinely blindsided by the question, and appeared to be completely surprised by the fact that she has gay fans. She was quoted as saying she was "grateful" that they seem to love her so much, but that she's "knee deep in the Bible right now and you know what it says about that."

Then her publicist did a quick patch-up job, saying that Carol was quoted out of context (could be, since the reporter doesn't seem to have a recording of the conversation). Which led to a flurry of speculation on several blogs and message boards about whether Carol is really a born-again homophobe or just an old lady with declining mental faculties.

My own theory is, it's a bit of both. She's certainly a little forgetful, which is only natural when you reach 85, but she probably also sees herself within spitting distance of St. Peter, so to speak, so she's doing that thing that some people do when they get old--gettin' right with the Lord. Sometimes, that involves painful self-examination of all one's principles and beliefs, and leads one to question the things they may have believed when they were (in their own eyes) younger and more foolish.

Do I think Carol Channing hates gays? Of course not! This is a woman who has embraced everybody fully and lovingly for her entire life. She's also given lots of her time for AIDs-related charities and other causes that are close to the gay community. Frankly, I think she's just getting senile. What her comments meant, anybody can guess. I'm certainly not ready to throw rocks at her house.

The newest "buzz-maker" is Jennifer Hudson, the former "American Idol" contestant garnering rave reviews for her performance as Effie in the motion picture "Dreamgirls." People are absolutely gushing over her, so of course, there has to be a "hand that taketh away" so to speak, and this particular hand comes in the form of comments she'd made earlier about the gay lifestyle being "sinful."

Now she's allegedly backpedaling, saying that while the Bible does say it's a sin, it also exhorts us not to judge other people.

Sounds reasonable to me. As much as I want to identify with people who are my idols, I realize that my chances of meeting and getting to know them are slim to none, so it doesn't really matter what they think of my life or my sexuality. (And quite frankly, this girl isn't even on my extra-long list of "people I want to meet before I die." So I really don't give a shit what she thinks.

And since I hardly ever go to the movies, I probably won't see "Dreamgirls," either.

Yes, that's right (oh, God, I can't resist this): I'm telling you I'm not going.

So back to the important thing: where are the holiday sales this weekend?

2 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

I'm with ya on the DREAMGIRLS avoidance -- Beyonce and acting go together like peanut butter and mayonnaise.

As for Carol Channing...I never did credit the old girl with being a Mensa member.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I'm already hearing that Beyonce was the weakest member of the cast...but of course, her character, the "Diana Ross" one, was supposed to be the least talented, but the prettiest, so she caught the eye of the wolfman--er, I mean Curtis.

Regardless, Jennifer Hudson is going places...yay for the Chicago girl!

But I'm still not going to see it...I hate overhyped things...

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home