Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A "Coming-Out" Party

My mother is being discharged from the hospital today and the facility across the street from her apartment in her town has accepted her. So when I go visit again Friday, I can literally run back across the street if there's anything she wants. I can bring her movies, books, etc. I'm really happy about that.

The change of location might also help her memory, which is still patchy and not coming together well. At this point, it's hard to tell what will come back, but with good occupational and physical therapy (since she hasn't been on her feet in so long), she'll have a much better chance. My aunt is still getting the run-around on getting a second opinion on mom's neurological diagnosis, because "the doctor says the hospital has to OK it, the hospital says it's up to the doctor," etc. But I told her that once she's in the care facility, we can get another assessment independently of the hospital rules. My aunt agreed, although she pointed out that it will mean another trip in the ambulance, since mom still can't ride in the car. But we'll get this worked out--I know we will...

She's being transferred at 5:00PM today. I may need to sign and fax back some papers as her POA, so my aunt will call me if they need my signature.

So, this is the next step on mom's journey. I'm really relieved, and nervous at the same time. But I think that being out of the hospital might help, since it's a more familiar looking place and may jog her memory (especially when she sees her apartment building and car).

As always, thanks to all for their good thoughts and prayers! They seem to be working...

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephen R. said...

Yeah!!! I'm so happy that your mother is improving!! If there's anything you need - - anything at all - - please let me know.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks, Stephen! My aunt just called, and they've got mom all signed in. She'll probably be taken there around 6:00 or so tonight.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day, Aaron's moms leaving the Hospital, now she will be doing okay!

My BFF is in a nursing home and has problems with his memory too. His kidneys stopped and he is on Dialysis. He seems to be wasting away. He is 4 years younger than me.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend...it's hard watching someone go through that! I've had loved ones go through this before, but they were always older. This was the first time I've ever seen my mom mentally incapacitated and it really freaks my shit out!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Johnny C said...

Having dealt with my mother after her stroke, my aging father who is starting to get dottier by the day, and my brother's cancer, I understand what you are going through. I wish that in school as part of home ecomonics they would have taught everyone how to deal with this stuff... or at least warned everyone.

You are doing great... by the by... your mom's lucky to have you as a son.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Wow...thanks, Johnny. I've had other people tell me I'm a good son over the last few weeks, but that really means a lot! Especially coming from someone who's dealt with so much himself! Many thanks...

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home