Monday, September 10, 2007

Ol' Lady, I'mo Put You In A Home!

I spoke with my aunt this morning, and she says that the oncologist was in this morning with mom's MRI results and they're clear ("which shocked me," my aunt says). So we're very, very happy about that.

We're also happy because mom will be discharged in a few days, but instead of sending her right home, they're going to do what they should have done last time, and put her in a "halfway home" sort of center where she can be rehabilitated and strengthened before she goes home.

This was a huge relief to me, because it became obvious to us this weekend that mom needs to get "built up" again, and she can't (or won't) do it on her own. She hasn't really eaten in six weeks, and she's so weak she can't think or walk. She's only 60, and it's way too early for that sort of deterioration. I called her Saturday and she was pretty good, but I called her twice yesterday and she was out of it. Never in my life have I not been able to have a conversation with my mom, but it happened twice yesterday, and it really bothered me. There were literally two or three minutes of dead silence on the phone while I waited for her to say something. And I can only ask "are you eating?" so many times before I sound like I'M the one who belongs in a home.

More as the story develops...

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen R. said...

If you ever need to talk, let me know. I am as close with my mother as you are to your's and I can only imagine what that must be like to not be able to carry on the conversation.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to hear about the clean report! My grandfather is in an extended care home, and he loves it and it is doing wonders for him.
BC

12:35 AM  
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

It's a scary thing when a parent becomes so out of it so quickly. Of course, in Mama M's case it gave me time to switch all her funds into my name....

I kid, I kid.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home