Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"You're No Ronald Reagan"

Ouch, Rudy--how embarrassed are you? You don't understand the art of insult, do you? You should, if you've been listening to what other people say.

(Oh, whoops, I forgot--that was never your strong suit, was it? That, along with finding dentures that FIT, seems to have fallen by the wayside.)

Is somebody supposed to be offended when told, "You're no Ronald Reagan?" My reflexive response would be to say, "Thank you," and heave a huge sigh of relief...

Because I don't think Obama was saying he WAS Reagan and certainly not that he wanted to be Reagan (nobody ever wanted that, even when the old fool was president). He was simply using an example of an extreme right-wing conservative who negotiated with people he considered terrorists, saying that as doddering as he was, even Reagan wasn't so stupid as to underestimate the humanity and intelligence of adversaries the way our current Great Embarrasser does. (And perhaps reminding us that it's only said Great Embarrasser who declared we'd "never negotiate with 'terrorists'," as part of the absolutist, unblinking, unthinking dogma he built up from watching too many John Wayne flicks.)

But pulling a wise-ass one-liner out of his already-crowded ass was good enough to get Rudy a laugh. Will it be enough to win him an election?

Perhaps not if ALL New Yorkers vote.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If someone told me I was a Ronald Wilson Reagan I would be very, very insulted. If they said I was nothing like him I would say Thank you so very much! I still think it is a disgrace for REagan to have promised he was a pro Union man and then fire the Air-Controllers. Then the last piece of shame to have the Washington D. C. named after him, after he fired the controllers please! Oh the Hypocrisy!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brain Fart: should be Washington D.C. AIRPORT, sorry.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Stephen R. said...

Isn't it amazing that people now regard Ronald Reagan as some sort of savior president?!? I look at that man and see only the blood of my friends on his hands.

I'm with with you! If someone said to me, "You're no Ronald Reagan," I'd send them a thank you card!!!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Nostalgia and illness always tint the past with rose-colored brushes. If he died of asphyxiation in a closet wearing women's fishnet hose, I guarantee you there wouldn't be these "aw-shucks" conservative eulogies of him...

Remember that, for when Rush Limbaugh finally kicks off...

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home