Sunday, July 06, 2008

Buried Treasure...

Well, today The Joans are studio-bound as they prepare to lay first tracks for their first CD (besides the ones taken with crappy microphones). I'm leaving to go pick up Taylor at 11:00 and we'll head down there.

In the meantime, feast your eyes on some choice trinkets that I resuced from Mom's storage space a few weeks ago. Some things couldn't be saved, were warped/water-damaged, etc. But I got the things I really wanted to keep. Here are a few:

Buried Treasures 011
Here's what it looked like in the trunk of my car. That's a full trunk! I had to finally move the stuff inside so I'd have room for my drums when we go to Michigan next week.

Buried Treasures 012
Mom ordered this silver coffee service set from Carson Pirie Scott. In 1979. It had never been used, and was never touched. Until now! Pretty, ain't it?


Buried Treasures 009
These made me absolutely giddy. I remember listening to these with my Mom when she dubbed them onto cassettes (yes, cassettes--shut up!) when I was a kid. You can't see it (and I couldn't make the photos show it, because it's so faint), but her name and address are stamped in the corner.


Buried Treasures 003
More giddiness. These are a few of the singles from the box of 45s I got out of the storage shed. Nancy Sinatra's "Sugar Town" (another favorite of mine from childhood), The Beatles' "She Liebt Dich" (the German version of "She Loves You"), "Just A Little" by the Beau Brummels, and...

Buried Treasures Herm Herm
...a Herman's Hermits single with a most intriguing title. Hmmm...does it really, Mr. Noone? Does it really? Did Mrs. Brown have a lovely SON as well...? I wonder...


Buried Treasures 008
This is some girl's confirmation certificate from 1901 in Ford County, IL. I'd be tempted to say that it's one of our relatives, except that it appears to be in Swedish, not German, and our Swedish relatives (my father's grandfather) all lived in Chicago, and would have been confirmed there. Also, there are no ancestors from that era named Anna Carolina as far as I know. There were an Olget, a Marget and a Bertel, but no Annas on that side.

I think Mom probably found this at a church jumble sale and kept it because she liked the look of it. That's just like Mom! She knew when something was worth hanging onto, even when nobody else did...


Maybe next week, I'll show you the lovely china that Mom found at another jumble sale (she had a knack for finding this stuff, I'll tell you). It's in my storage closet downstairs.

There's more stuff, but it will have to wait until later, because I have to jump in the shower and get ready to hit the road for Taylor's, and from there to the place in Humboldt Park that we're recording. (We went and saw it yesterday--it's quite nice.)

Later, tomaters!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about Mrs. Brown but Mrs. Smith had a loverly son. Herman was so hawt! I didn't know he swung both ways. What are those black discs? Did DVD's used to be that big? ;) The Silver is Divine dahling!
I'm not up on confirmations but didn't they give the person a new name? Maybe the child kept her old name and only used the confirmation name in church. Ed

9:19 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

The silver caused a really bright flare in the camera, which is why it's so blinding. It really isn't that shiny sitting on top of my fridge (which is where I have it, there being no other uncluttered surfaces)...

10:06 AM  
Blogger BC said...

Nice treasures! Can't wait for more.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice trove, Aaron. My mom's been handing out "heirlooms" for a couple years now, which some of us think is more than a little morbid. Some books, embroidery... no china or silver, yet. I'm not the soirée type, but it would be nice to channel some nervous energy into polishing the silver once in a while. Andy W.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home