Thursday, March 13, 2008

Worst Songs Ever? Move Over Kids...I Have a Few More!

A bunch of blowhards on Blender.com have decided (via ill-informed committee) which songs are the 50 worst in history.

I agree with some of them ("My Heart Will Go On" is at the TOP of my list, although it was at the bottom of theirs), but I think they should have spent more time critiquing the musical merits of the songs than pissing and moaning about which ones were most politically incorrect.

But then again, this is the generation for that. Once we had the New Seekers--now we have the New Whiners.

Perhaps if The Committee had been ambitious enough, they could have made their way on to some REALLY egregious songs, like "Run Joey Run" (remember that one? I do!) and "Kung Fu Fighting" (I notice no mention was made of the political incorrectness of a Jamaican singing a song about "funky Chinamen in funky Chinatown" and even adding kung fu yells to punctuate the rhythm--classy stuff).

8 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

I loved Run Joey Run when I was nine! And The Night Chicago Died. The list is lame; it's like they turned on the radio for a half hour and wrote it down. Lazy. Though I do really hate that Breakfast song, because it is such a slap on Truman's face. The songs they listed a lame, but the worst? They didn't even try...

10:58 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Yes, I thought that "Breakfast at Tiffany's" song sucked, too. To me, it was an obvious attempt by some Gen-Xers to show how culturally literate they were by dropping a title that came out before their birth (and not even LONG before--now if they'd done a song about "Reefer Madness," that might have been different :-)).

11:34 AM  
Blogger BC said...

I almost forgot: Have a good show tonight!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks! We're quite looking forward to it...

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Break a leg tonight, Aaron.
Forgive me, I cried when that cute Leo Dicaprio sank beneath the waves. Yeah, I'm the wussy. Rose just got through saying she would never let go of his hand, too. We must remember that Her "usband" Rene said that Celine was the greatest singer in the Vorld!. Ed

1:25 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

He's her manager, too--he has to say that.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't she like 12 years old when Rene married her? He's her manager, husband and dad. Weird. Ed

4:10 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

She was about 12 when he discovered her...he waited until she was legal to marry her. I still cringe.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home