Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Is It Possible? Could I Get My Wish...?

An article this morning on Hillary's wins in Texas and Ohio hints that, should she get the nomination, she may consider having Obama as her running mate.

Yes! THAT'S more like it! Now, there's a helluva good chance that she won't get the nomination, but if Obama showed the same good sense should HE get the nomination, I think we'd have the best Democratic ticket in 12 years...

A few things concern me about Hillary: I don't like the Clinton record on all issues (Defense of Marriage Act, anyone? Don't Ask, Don't Tell?), which I know she had a large hand in (in fact, I really think she had her hand up Bill's ass and worked his mouth most of the time). I was also reminded of my skittishness over socialized medicine this past Friday at my local watering hole when another patron (who can always be counted upon to voice his opinion), derided the societies who preen themselves and crow over their nationalized health care. "You know what they have? Shit! The quality of care in those countries is piss-poor." Which makes a little sense...straitened resources are always spread too thin to provide superior quality. But even if that were true, sub-standard is still better than 1/3 of the U.S. currently has, which is NADA. Zip. Zilch.

And I also remembered that this patron is, in fact, a doctor, so of COURSE he doesn't like socialized medicine, although he points out, correctly, that the way to bring healthcare costs under control is to rein in the insurance companies. (It's just too bad there's no way to do it, since the insurance lobby is so rich they shit gold turds.)

National Health will certainly make an eventual difference in the job market: if employers aren't forced to carry health insurance anymore, some places are going to have a hell of a hard time recruiting employees--some companies are so shitty that the only draw they had was their benefits package, a large part of which was, of course, health insurance. If that were no longer the case, what would they bargain with? Chair massages?

In the end, however, one of these two candidates has to end up on the top of the ticket. Hillary's sending signals that if it's her, she'd like Obama as her Veep, which means she's shrewd enough to realize just how powerful they'd be together.

I just hope Obama can see it the same way if he clinches it...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing most Americans don't realize about nationalized healthcare is that it's not top of the private pay healthcare. It's county hospital care for all. If the current healthcare standards in The States can be maintained on a public system it would become the gold standard for such programs.

My experiences up here have been lack of doctors, less than spanking clean facilities, long waits and a cousin who had a heart attack being kept in the ER for a week so he'd be able to be admitted.

There is also a huge market for homeopaths, naturpaths and new age shamans who can cure ills.

Lack of healthcare benefits also seems to mean a lack of 401k type benefits being offered. You have to set those up yourself (George Bush's base's dream).

You do have to buy dental insurance. Dental offices are sparkling and state of the art. Up here you want your kid to marry a dentist not a doctor.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I'm not sure that homeopaths and shamans aren't the way to go anymore...prevention seems to be so much better than cure, anyway. (I know it keeps ME eating more green vegetables.)

Yes, my hatred for the right deepens with every passing day: their hypocrisy rankles, as they don't feel employers ought to have to pay for health insurance or benefits, but think nothing of their cronies drawing huge salaries and golden parachutes that their workers ultimately pay for.

I'm beginning to believe in public castration.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should the American taxpayer pay for that, too? ;)

4:24 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I'll gladly pass the hat myself! :-)

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head, Aaron. I have not had any health care since 1993 when my factory who shall remain nameless (Initials G.E.) moved to Mexico. My state just passed a law giving illegal aliens free health care because to not do it would be inhuman. How about those of us born here? Many of us are hoping to survive long enough to get the substandard care of Medicare. Not much to look forward too but what else is there? My Governor's party wants us all to just die and save them all the trouble. What can they do tax the rich? Heaven forbid!Ed

5:24 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

At the risk of sounding racist or prejudiced (and since I know I'm not, I don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks anyway), I simply CANNOT understand denying natural-born citizens healthcare while providing better for illegal immigrants. Yes, I know they work damned hard, but they're here--and let's all write this down--illegally. It's called "assumed risk." Do you think if we stowed away in a foreign country illegally, they'd give US free healthcare?

Fuck too! We'd get a bowl of lumpy oatmeal a day in prison, or booted the fuck out...

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home